I got tickets to see San Diego play San Francisco last week, via my wife’s work. It was a last-second, unplanned thing, but my first game of the year, so I went to eat, take a few pictures, and eat.
Here’s a quick bulleted list update of the game:
- I took BART from West Oakland to SF, which itself was pretty fast, but I always underestimate the walk from the subway to the stadium, which took about 30 minutes.
- I brought my full-sized DSLR, with the usual kit lens and zoom, plus a new 10-18mm wide. I also brought my EOS-M mirrorless with a 50mm prime.
- I shot a touch of video with the EOS-M. The wide-angle lens didn’t work out. I feel like I keep taking the same pictures of AT&T park over and over again with the zoom. The 50mm and the mirrorless was great.
- We had a box suite, but went downstairs to the club level to eat. I ended up getting a trio of sliders that were corned beef and briscuit, and a bratwurst. The corned beef was exceptionally good. The bratwurst was a bratwurst.
- I’m still (allegedly) a Rockies fan, so I don’t like the Giants or the Padres. I won’t say anything bad, except that I think it’s chickenshit when a World Series champion’s fans boo every player’s at-bat, especially when you’re outspending all but three teams in the game.
- I actually like the Padres’ dark uniforms. I think they remind me of the Brewers’ uniforms, minus the cool caps.
- The game itself was eh. The Giants jumped ahead fast, and the Padres never scored.
- It was Cinco De Mayo, and some dude proposed on the kiss-cam.
- I saw a huge dude with a giant Bud Lite logo tattooed on his hand.
- The Rockies game that I was going to passively follow was rained out.
- We left after the 7th inning.
A bit boring, but I do like going to AT&T for the food.
Pictures are up on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jkonrath/sets/72157652540439541