So I wanted a hardcover of Rumored to Exist, because I’m funny about that, so I made one. Check it:
It’s a hardcover edition of the annotated version that I originally released in 2004. In fact, it’s the exact text from the 2004 version. I would have preferred to go over it again, starting with the 2011 re-release and add back in the annotations and do something else with the book blah blah blah but I don’t have time.
Differences in this edition:
- Hardcover, with a slip jacket.
- The paper quality is slightly better than standard POD. It’s more of a cream color.
- The cover is an alternate of the original cover. Same location, but taken during a snow storm.
- The back cover is a bunch of my notes on legal pads and post-its, along with the post card sent from the Astrodome by Larry Falli.
- A ten-page introduction explaining the history of the book (up to 2004).
- A facts and figures section.
- A Q&A about the book.
- The 2002 first edition text (possibly with some minor changes) in a different layout.
- 547 footnotes explaining parts of the text. This isn’t some DFW/Nabokov “the footnotes are another work of literature” thing; it’s just straight-up reference material.
- No UPC or ISBN. Only for sale at Lulu. No digital edition.
I don’t expect anyone to buy this – I just did it so I could have a nice hardcover on the shelf. If you do buy it, expect a great delay from lulu. It took them two weeks to send mine. But I think it’s worth the $20 – it’s very nice to see it with the glossy slipcover and everything.
OK, back to work on the next one.